Pan-Clan
*****Please note that your Username will be your 1st name and your last name
Password will remain as you set it.*****

Gathering 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gathering 2012

Post  Dave Shorten on Sat 21 Jan 2012 - 21:37

Are there plans for group rides to the gathering? Would be useful to know especially for any new members that may be interested in the trip.
Dave Shorten

Back to top Go down

Travel to Gathering, Semmering Austria.

Post  Derek French on Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 19:36

Hi Dave. Good question. It was just what I was wondering about. From Calais about half-way is Stuttgart if the journey is split in two. However I am looking at it from point of view of someone who has only 60 miles in the morning to get to Folkestone to catch the train to Calais, so people travelling a bit further might want to split the journey a little differently. Calais to Stuttgart is 470 miles according to google maps so it is a longish run even on motorways. Some might want to split it into a three day journey if slower roads are used to avoid getting too saddle-sore.
What are your thoughts?
Derek French

Back to top Go down

Gathering route

Post  Dave Shorten on Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 20:55

We tend to run down to Dover the night before and stay at the hotel in the port, we try to stay away from the train as Sue has a phobia about trains. When we did the German gathering we overnighted it on the hook of holland ferry which got us into holland early and refreshed, possibly run to koblenz then finish the next day or as you say split to 3 days.

The last few trips have been in a group and that for us improves the enjoyment of the journey, the best trip we have ever done was the last Austria gathering when we dropped down through Germany and bavaria with the northwest group. Although the 2 day run back was a push, felt Sorry for Pat and Les who ran back to Carlise I think, that was a hell of a run.
Dave Shorten

Back to top Go down

The Scottish Plan

Post  Alan Fair on Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 23:19

There are 9 bikes going from the Scottish area, in 2 groups.

The main group of 7 are leaving on the Saturday before the Gathering (Newcastle to Amsterdam) then heading down to Cologne for 2 nights, then to <not totally sure> for another couple of nights.

Then it's over to the Gathering.

After the gathering we are heading back via Bertesgarten (visit to Hitler's Eagle's Nest); The Grossglockner Alpine Pass; and then to Innsbruck to get the DBautozug overnight train to Dusseldorf. From there, it's back to Amsterdam and the ferry back to Newcastle and home.

The remaining 2 bikes are camping their way to and from the gathering (the use of tent type camping!). I don't think they have their final route sorted yet.

Alan Fair

Back to top Go down

Route to gathering - revised thoughts

Post  Derek French on Mon 6 Feb 2012 - 18:23

As we are travelling from the South of the UK, the crossing by train to Calais we think can be done by 9am French time. Our thoughts are now:
Day 1: To Baden Baden.
Day 2: Via B500 and Lake Constance to Innsbruck.
Day 3: Via Grossglockner Pass to Semmering.

Not the shortest route but we hope will prove picturesque in enough places to make it worthwhile. Key to it is weather. Passes are out if stormy or there is heavy cloud/fog. Return journey possibly down to two days via somewhere near Stuttgart overnight.
Derek French

Back to top Go down

Gathering 2012

Post  keithwatling on Tue 7 Feb 2012 - 18:20

My wife and I are staying in Belgium (Ipres) on the Sunday before and then on to Luxembourg for an overnight stay, from there we are going down to the Black Forest not too far from Stuttgart for 1 night, meeting up with a couple from Hull and then onto Saltzberg for another overnight stay. Then a nice ride to Semmering on the Thursday. We have tried to make each day around a 200 mile trip which is enough for us. See you all there. Keith and Pauline Watling.
keithwatling

Back to top Go down

semmering

Post  Andy Beckett on Wed 21 Mar 2012 - 19:36

I am taking the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland the night of the 28th, 2315hrs, I will have another stop somewhere but going to play that by ear, depending on the weather and my mood. Returning to hook of Holland for the 1430 ferry on 5th.
Andy Beckett

Back to top Go down

Re: Gathering 2012

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top