Pan-Clan
*****Please note that your Username will be your 1st name and your last name
Password will remain as you set it.*****
Pan-Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just back into biking ...

5 posters

Go down

Just back into biking ... Empty Just back into biking ...

Post  RICHARD BRUCE Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 18:54

I joined the Pan-Clan in anticipation of buying a Pan, having decided to return to biking after very many years. I finally made my choice and collected an 04 reg ST1300A on Saturday, which promptly broke down on the long drive home, and I had to be recovered. Now, a new battery later (kindly paid for by the previous owner when I told him what had happened) I have had my second good ride today. I am fine on the move, both feet up as soon as I have any forward speed, but what I finding hard is slow speed manoeuvring when the mass of the beast seems a bit scary at the moment. So, I plan to practice in a deserted car park at the weekend. But if any of you more experienced guys and gals know any useful tips, I'd be grateful to hear them. I hope to meet some of you at events in the near future, when I am a bit more confident and know that you won't laugh at me quite so much! Thanks for reading this. Richard
RICHARD BRUCE
RICHARD BRUCE

Back to top Go down

Just back into biking ... Empty Re: Just back into biking ...

Post  Alan Fair Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 21:56

Hello Richard, and congratulations on getting the ST1300.

Having got a new battery a good investment is a conditioning charger.  These are the ones you can leave connected all the time the bike is at home (as long as you have a nearby power supply!) and it only charges the battery when needed.  They are cheaper than a new battery - I know from personal experience, and certainly keep the battery in prime condition especially during the non-riding months (assuming you are not an all weather, all seasons rider like some of our members).

If you think slow speed manoeuvring is tricky on the 1300, be thankful you didn't get the 1100!  It will come with practice, just don't use the front brake at slow speed with any degree of lock.  It's a sure way to gently lay down the bike.

The other problem with slow speed can be the 'snatchy' throttle due to being fuel injection (not just a Pan problem).  There are after market mods that some in the club have fitted that give a much more even and gently control of fuel flow at lower rev range.  I'll see if I can locate one of the old PANtasia articles and get it posted on the website.
Alan Fair
Alan Fair

Back to top Go down

Post  RICHARD BRUCE Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 22:24

Thanks, Alan. And I can reply now as you can see!
RICHARD BRUCE
RICHARD BRUCE

Back to top Go down

Post  iangoodchild Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 9:38

Hi Richard
Welcome to the club. You will enjoy it and your ST.
A few of us use the solar trickle charger from Maplins which works very well and is on special at the mo £15. Put it on garage roof , connect then free to run. Needs on daylight not direct sun which is handy here!
Cheers
Ian

iangoodchild

Back to top Go down

Just back into biking ... Empty low speed Manoeuvres

Post  rogerhowarth Fri 27 Jun 2014 - 9:50

I know what you mean about the slow speed - ive had a few big bmw's (and dropped k1100lt when parking etc) and can sympathise - I've found the pan one of the best and its more me being timid causes the wobbles than the bikes capability's - my technique after a fair bit of trial and error - is keep the revs up and trail the rear brake - above all keep power on - every instinct says slow down and brake but more powers whats needed

and on a happy note having found this out last week in a car park with a slope like Everest - my drop was caught on the engine crash cover and £25 later - you really cant tell its been over

have fun

roger
rogerhowarth
rogerhowarth

Back to top Go down

Just back into biking ... Empty low speed Manoeuvres

Post  Derek French Wed 2 Jul 2014 - 11:19

Revving the engine whilst slipping the clutch (perhaps with legs trailing too as this certainly seems to help my balance at walking-pace speeds) is the way to manoeuvre especially if performing a U-turn. 'Jerky' fuelling on the earlier ST1300 bikes can be improved by fitting an Ivans Fuel Cut Eliminator (FCE).
Try a search on ebay.co.uk:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
ST1100s don't have this same problem as they have lovely smooth fuelling from carburettors which have not been modified for emission-control purposes. I know as I owned an ST1100 for 11 years and have owned ST1300s (2003 A2, 2012 A9) for four years. The 2003 bike definitely benefitted from an FCE. The latest A9 model has much better fuelling anyway so an FCE not required.
Derek French
Derek French

Back to top Go down

Post  rogerhowarth Wed 2 Jul 2014 - 22:24

you might find this link helps,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-BDrAxjAFI    - ive always preferred using the back brake - maybe because my first big bikes were old bmw boxers with the rear drum and it really steadied it - also paranoid about burning out the clutch - this shows rear brake and clutch use -

one thing im looking at adding is the fuel cut eliminator Derek advised - sounds like a v good idea

Derek do you know if this will improve an 06 pan?

cheers Roger
rogerhowarth
rogerhowarth

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek French Thu 3 Jul 2014 - 10:46

Hi Roger. Don't know if it will improve an 06 model. Symptoms the FCE helps address are as follows:
- Jerky response from a closed throttle, with nothing and then a power surge. People tend to slip the clutch in town to compensate.
- Better response from the engine when blipping the throttle to change down a gear at around, say, 3000 rpm.
- A tendency for the bike to slowdown when trying to ride at a steady 50mph or so. It starts to slow and eventually you open the throttle a bit and it surges away.
I fitted (or rather had the FCE fitted by Tim Farley) the FCE and then went away on a tour around the Alps and was pleased with the change in character of my 03 engine. Honda improved matters on later bikes with a revised fuel map. Don't know if that included the 06 model or not. Probably a search of the part numbers for the ECU would reveal the year of the change.

Derek French
Derek French

Back to top Go down

Just back into biking ... Empty Thanks for the advice and tips

Post  RICHARD BRUCE Sun 6 Jul 2014 - 8:10

Hi Guys

Thanks all of you for your help and tips. I am getting better and more confident, though managed to drop the bike yesterday when moving it, engine not running, but no damage, so that's good. I am practising the slow speed manoeuvres, but feet up, foot braking, and slipping the clutch - it's getting better. Had my first really long run and after 400 miles feel much more assured with this fantastic bike, except still at very slow speeds. I am using a slow charger, and am looking into the FCE - though not sure if I will be able to fit it myself.
RICHARD BRUCE
RICHARD BRUCE

Back to top Go down

Post  Derek French Mon 7 Jul 2014 - 13:53

Shortly after I returned to biking I booked a one-to-one course for a day with a bike instructor which, at the time (March 2001) cost £120. Was well worth it though as covered some useful police riding road craft techniques. Also look at local IAM clubs that do evaluation rides. All useful feedback if you are prepared to accept it as positive feedback (rather than criticism!).
Derek French
Derek French

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum